Identical to the standard PS4 recreation console, the PRO model lets you use a USB external storage system as a way to backup the whole knowledge on the interior onerous drive. This nice function gives more gaming flexibility to PS4 PRO fanboys who’ve not to worry about operating out of area anymore.
With the limited measurement of the stock arduous drive of PS4 PRO, power customers (or fanatics) find themselves tied with that small quantity of space for storing, they usually look ahead to a solution to increase the out there area of the inventory exhausting drive in order to download and store extra games in accordance with their choice.
There are two totally different solutions to work round this drawback—either improve your inner arduous drive to a much bigger measurement or get an external onerous drive as an alternative. We will probably be addressing both methods on this information and make some suggestions at the finish for the PS4 PRO exterior arduous drives.
- 1 Our PS4 PRO External Hard Drive 2016 Roundup
- 2 Limitation of the Commonplace PS4 PRO Hard Drive
- 3 Do You Really Need an External HDD for PS4 PRO?
- 4 Forms of External Storage Solutions for PS4 PRO
- 5 Selecting the Best External Hard Drive for PS4 PRO
- 6 What about PS4 PRO External Hard Drive Compatibility?
- 7 Learn how to use an external onerous drive on PS4 PRO
- 8 Conclusion
Our PS4 PRO External Hard Drive 2016 Roundup
In this section we’ll listing what we contemplate to be one of the best exterior exhausting drive for PS4 PRO recreation console for yr 2016. These drives function top quality products of probably the most outstanding companies in the storage system business. We solely authorize Seagate, WD, Hitachi (which has been owned by WD since a number of years) and Toshiba. Additionally, we gave the yr of production (not before 2013) and term of warranty (not lower than 2 years) our prime priority together with the score every specific drive gained on Amazon website.
|Seagate Backup Plus Fast Duo|
|The Backup Plus Quick is by far the speediest and highest-capacity hard-drive-based USB 3.0 moveable storage system up to now. This latest member of Seagate’s Backup Plus household of compact exterior arduous drives achieves that by combining two inner arduous drives on the inside in a RAID zero configuration, effectively doubling each the present capacity and performance.|
|Seagate Backup Plus Slim|
|The Seagate Backup Plus Slim is the space-saving version of Seagate’s performance-heavy cellular moveable family and is the thinnest moveable onerous drive available on the market. The Backup Plus Slim Portable Drive is the straightforward, one-click solution to shield and share your complete digital life. At 12.1millimeters skinny for as much as 4TB of capability, it’s ready to take with you and go.|
|WD Black My Passport Ultra|
|The seventh era My Passport Ultra is a USB Three.zero exterior HDD designed for final portability with the power to back up consumer knowledge mechanically and to the Cloud. The My Passport Extremely is a tried and true know-how that WD has been selling for a while.|
Limitation of the Commonplace PS4 PRO Hard Drive
Simply till few weeks in the past, Sony used to release PlayStation-4 with a 500gb onerous drive capacity which doesn’t meet the expectations/ambitions of a wide variety of enthusiast customers who keep hours day by day enjoying totally different games on PS4 PRO. The heaps of complains Sony acquired of the limited storage capacity of PS4 PRO’s default onerous drive pressured the producer to release a brand new version of PS4 PRO with an expanded 1 terabyte of storage capability. However again the fanatic players find that capability too restricted for his or her ambition.
So what’s the workaround for this drawback? How can the enthusiast customers obtain all their favourite PS4 PRO games and save them on a constantly useful storage gadget that gives an on the spot access to all your favorite video games on the fly?
Break the Limits and Make Your Approach
The answer is just that you simply either improve your inner PS4 PRO onerous drive to a 2tb capability, or even 1tb when you still use the older model of PS4 [Check our 1tb and 2tb PS4 PRO hard drive recommendations] or, for those who really feel that measurement continues to be not enough in your needs, you better get a large external arduous drive (up to 4tb), which features, together with a large inner onerous drive, a just about enough area that can serve your wants for a couple of more years.
PS4 PRO External Hard Drive Help
In case you are new to the world of PS4 PRO, you could marvel then that PS4 PRO does help including an exterior onerous drive to it just for the purpose of backup/archive. That’s one cause why PS4 PRO has USB Three.0 ports on its again as seen in the image on the best aspect.
This essential function provides a excessive flexibility to this console and provides a means out of the stress brought on by the limited capability of the default inner onerous drive of PS4 PRO. So now you possibly can obtain and save no matter digital materials on your recreation console as long as you’ve gotten an exterior enlargement prepared outdoors the field. But that you must know also that you simply’ll not have the ability to play your saved games or films on PS4 PRO while they are on the exterior onerous drive. You’ll quite have to switch what you want to run/play to your PS4 PRO inner arduous drive first. This can be the one major disadvantage of using an exterior onerous drive on PS4 PRO consoles. In any other case, to most users who’ve upgraded to a 2tb PS4 PRO inner arduous drive this shouldn’t be an issue at all.
So in case you determine on going with an external exhausting drive in your PS4 PRO, there are a couple of questions you have to ask your self first, something like: How to choose the perfect external onerous drive on your PS4 PRO when it comes to performance and reliability? What sort of external arduous drive suits you better—a desktop or a laptop external arduous drive? What capacity do you actually need and how are you going to take the utmost advantage of your present PS4 PRO inner exhausting drive with out simply trading it for a new one?
These questions and others (which we shall be addressing on this guide) are necessary to ponder on earlier than you determine in your state of affairs with the limitation of PS4 PRO storage.
CourtesyNote that we now have spent a very long time making this article to be able to educate and show you how to. We might be grateful when you share this article on Facebook or different social media as a method to say “thank you” and to spread the information.
Do You Really Need an External HDD for PS4 PRO?
The Internet abounds with plenty of appealing supplies to obtain and store in your PS4 PRO onerous drive, notably games and films. Whereas a modern PS4 PRO recreation, comparable to GTA 5 would value you about 41GB of area just to store it, and virtually 48.7GB to put in it (i.e. that’s roughly 90GB of engaged area for just one recreation on your PS4 PRO inner onerous drive), the Extremely-HD films are available comparable measurement (For example, Mission Unattainable 4K UHD 2160p is 45GB of measurement). And until you’re like that guy who disposes of each film and recreation he downloaded by deletion after watching/enjoying it, you’ll find yourself caught with the very limited area a normal PS4 PRO onerous drive supplies, and you’ll easily come to the conclusion that even a 1tb won’t suffice after few month of utilization, and here arises the necessity of an additional storage system that can deal with the heaps of your downloaded digital stuff.
Upgrade or Get an External HDD As an alternative?
Before answering this query you have to be aware that on PS4 PRO consoles you can’t play films or install/run video games on your exterior onerous drive. A PS4 PRO external arduous drive is used principally and solely for archive/backup functions. If you wish to use the information saved on your external exhausting drive, you will want to transfer them first to the interior arduous drive of your PS4 PRO.
There are 3 ways you possibly can deal with the shortage of space for storing in your PS4 PRO inner exhausting drive:
- Upgrade the prevailing inner exhausting drive to a bigger one and use the previous HDD as an external storage with the assistance of an external exhausting drive enclosure. This technique is usually most popular by those who wish to maintain all or most of their information on the interior exhausting drive of PS4 PRO for their very own personal causes or cumulatively install many giant PS4 PRO video games. If you want to go together with this technique, take a look at our guide on one of the best 1tb & 2tb PS4 PRO inner exhausting drive.
- Maintain the current exhausting drive intact in its unique place and get a new external onerous drive. This technique is usually most popular by those that don’t wish to eliminate their previous information and fairly archive them externally and relieve the burden on the interior arduous drive. That is helpful in the event you don’t want to delete your previous information yet don’t need them stored anymore on your inner arduous drive to free it up for brand spanking new information.
- Upgrade your present inner arduous drive and get a new exterior onerous drive. This technique is usually most popular by professionals/fanatics who have so much to put in and retailer internally and externally. Such a customers is rare they usually principally search the most important attainable capacities for both inner and exterior exhausting drives.
Forms of External Storage Solutions for PS4 PRO
There are numerous exterior storage options you’ll be able to go together with on your PS4 PRO, which are:
- External Hard Disk Drive (HDD), and this comes in two types:
- Laptop external arduous drive. It’s moveable and small and doesn’t need a power cable to launch it. It has two varieties: Single drive and twin drive. The latter offers doubled velocity of the primary.
- Desktop exterior onerous drive. It’s larger in measurement as a result of it makes use of a 3.5-inch desktop exhausting drive. It’s quicker and extra dependable than its laptop sibling however its larger measurement, heavier weight and the need of power cable repel most customers from adopting it. It comes also in two varieties: single drive and a number of drive which might be 2-4 drives related to each other by way of RAID array inside one field.
- External Strong State Drive (SSD). It’s a lot quicker, smaller and lighter than external onerous drives and it takes full benefit of the USB Three.0 interface. However we don’t advocate it for PS4 PRO for a number of reasons:
- It’s much expensive than an strange external arduous drive
- Has restricted capacity (The most important external SSD is 1tb capability while exterior onerous drives have already reached the 8tb degree)
- PS4 PRO won’t make any massive use of the excessive velocity of the external SSD. That’s as a result of the PS4 PRO inner exhausting drive is already too sluggish compared with the velocity of the exterior SSD which can remarkably hinder the transfer process between the 2 storage units, and the HDD will rule here not the SSD.
You could learn extra about exterior strong state drives (SSD) here.
- USB Flash Drive. Its foremost drawback is the restricted small capacity and the unreasonably exaggerated worth for capacities above 256gb.
Should you favor this sort of external storage, chances are you’ll need to read our USB 3.zero flash drive information.
Evaluating the Forms of External HDD
It might intrigue you to know the advantages and drawback of each sort by way of a comparison desk. This may give you a clearer picture of what exterior drive fits you greatest.
External Desktop HDD vs External Laptop computer HDD
In the table under we are evaluating two exterior exhausting drives which are thought-about the most effective of their class. The desktop external drive is Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive (STDT5000100) [Single Drive] and the laptop computer exterior drive is Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard (STDR4000100) [Single Drive].
Observe that the benchmark numbers have been acquired from storagereview.com.
|Features||External Desktop HDD [Single]||External Laptop HDD [Single]|
|Measurement (Dimensions)||7.1 x 1.6 x Four.6 inches||4.51 x 3.07 x 0.81 inches|
|Weight||1.9 kilos||6.Four ounces|
|Guarantee||2-year restricted||2-year restricted|
|Interface||USB Three.zero||USB Three.zero|
The under table contains a comparison between two kinds of exterior dual onerous drives, one is unportable (desktop) [WD WD My Book Duo] and the opposite is moveable (laptop) [Seagate Backup Plus Fast Portable].
Word that the benchmark numbers have been acquired from storagereview.com.
|Features||External Desktop HDD [Dual]||External Laptop HDD [Dual]|
|RAID0 2MB Sq. Learn||254.7MB/s||183.4MB/s|
|RAID0 2MB Sq. Write||223.0MB/s||237.2MB/s|
|RAID0 2MB Ran. Read||99.9MB/s||90.0MB/s|
|RAID0 2MB Ran. Write||99.8MB/s||135.8MB/s|
|Measurement (Dimensions)||3.9 x 6.2 x 6.5 inches||Four.6 x Three.25 x 0.88 inches|
|Weight||4.6 kilos||10.9 ounces|
|DATA Management||RAID0, RAID1, JBOD||RAID0, RAID1|
|Variety of Drives||2||2|
|Interface||USB 3.0||USB 3.zero|
|Guarantee||2-year restricted||3-year restricted|
|Worth||$219.00 [4TB]||$199.99 [4TB]|
What Sort Do We Advocate?
As you possibly can already notice, the exterior dual onerous drive is faster by virtually double the velocity of the only drive. We might strongly advocate one of these external drives solely to professional users who’ve tons of knowledge to obtain and save on a regular basis. Otherwise, a daily PS4 PRO consumer ought to be high quality with an external single onerous drive.
Selecting the Best External Hard Drive for PS4 PRO
With a purpose to select the most effective external exhausting drive for PS4 PRO it’s worthwhile to take the following points into consideration:
- Compatibility All the external arduous drive in our record are suitable with PS4 PRO working system. They are interfaced with USB Three.zero and may be formatted to work seamlessly with PS4 PRO with none single difficulty.
- Brand identify. All the time go for outstanding and well-reputed onerous drive manufacturer, akin to Seagate, Western Digital (WD), Hitachi and Toshiba.
- Yr of producing. Often newer models are extra improved and optimized than older ones. Just don’t go for an exterior onerous drive launched before 2013.
- Capability. Gauge your wants and take into consideration the near future and do your personal calculations to seek out the proper answer concerning this matter. Keep in mind that you would be able to get a transportable arduous drive starting from 1TB to 4TB, and unportable exterior onerous drive ranging as much as 12TB.
- Velocity & Reliability. Often you can’t decide that by just reading the official product specification sheet. The brief route is to skim consumers’ evaluations on online retail shops like Amazon.com. That will not take you 5 minutes of time! Or should you need extra exact information, go read the critiques of IT professional on the particular drive by which you’re interested.
- Warranty. Don’t purchase a drive that has lower than 2-year limited warranty, which is the standard time period now in all brands.
- Encryption. It’s not too necessary when you’re not going to retailer personal knowledge on the drive.
- Portability. This isn’t an enormous difficulty if you wish to solely use the external exhausting drive for backing up your information from PS4 PRO. In case you have sufficient area for a desktop external onerous drive, I might only advocate it to you, as it’s extra reliable and quicker than laptop/moveable drives. In any other case, a transportable onerous drive ought to be nice with you, because the “more reliability” of external desktop exhausting drives doesn’t make the moveable ones dangerous or unreliable. It’s only a relative matter.
What about PS4 PRO External Hard Drive Compatibility?
Many aged PS4 PRO customers who reside with the outdated firmware software program of PS4 PRO still assume that they can’t use an exterior onerous drive on PS4 PRO, or if it’s potential then it’s a matter of problem as a consequence of compatibility problem.
This could have made a legitimate level if we are living 2 years back when Sony first launched its PS4 PRO console without any help for exterior storage units. But now this can be a matter of historical past. You’ll not have any compatibility challenge at all if you add an external onerous drive to PS4 PRO. Simply comply with the subsequent section on this information to discover ways to use an external HDD on PS4 PRO.
Learn how to use an external onerous drive on PS4 PRO
You have to keep in mind all the time that an exterior exhausting drive on PS4 PRO can be used for 2 functions solely:
- Backup your knowledge on the interior exhausting drive.
- Play media information (like films and audios) immediately from it.
In contrast to Xbox One, YOU CANNOT PLAY GAMES ON THE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WITH PS4 PRO.
We now have repeated this a number of occasions now inside this article lest you overlook this necessary reality.
So now, you have got an exterior arduous drive in your PS4 PRO, the right way to use it?
Using it is rather simple, simply comply with the steps under and you’ll be carried out.
But before going by means of our brief guide, be sure to have downloaded and installed the newest firmware replace for PS4 PRO. This is a vital step to carry out.
Then you need to format the external exhausting drive to make it suitable with PS4 PRO.
Now you’re prepared!
For backup purposes:
- Make certain your exterior exhausting drive is ready and related to PS4 PRO USB port
- Comply with this path on PS4 PRO: Settings -> System -> Backup and Restore ->Back Up PS4 PRO
- There’s just one choice and that’s whether or not or not Purposes shall be a part of the back-up. In any other case it’s just Captures, Saved Knowledge, and Settings. So make your selection and click on “Next” then “Again Up“
In the event you find it is nonetheless unclear, you’ll be able to watch the video under which explains this course of completely and plainly:
For Enjoying External Media Information:
This is also a easy course of, all what it’s a must to do is the next:
- Obtain “PS4 PRO Media Player” from the PlayStation Retailer (there shall be an icon on your PS4 PRO’s house display so you don’t have to look via the Retailer catalog), and let it set up.
- Join your external exhausting drive to PS4 PRO by way of USB port
- Load up the newly-installed PS4 PRO Media Participant.
- Now your external onerous drive will appear within the listing of playable media, and you may select what you need to watch.
See the image under:
At the end of the day, after Sony launched its PS4 PRO firmware replace that permits using external arduous drive on PS4 PRO, an exterior exhausting drive has grow to be a vital accessory to all fanatics who’ve giant knowledge to commonly backup, or have tons of flicks they wish to play externally without the need to download them immediately on their inner exhausting drive.